This kind of soup is nothing new under the Sun and most of our grandmothers used to make it on a weekly basis. Like it or not, it proves to be very useful whenever we have a cold. The warm liquid feels soothing and alleviates any nasty symptoms you may have. But latest trends have been praising additional health benefits of bone broth. To mention just a few, bone broth is supposed to relieve pain, make your skin look much brighter, and achieve shinier hair. But are these just false assumptions or is there a grain of truth within them?
What is bone broth?
In a nutshell, bone broth is a soup made out of animal bones. You can use beef, chicken or turkey. Don’t be afraid to use the more unconventional bones like the knuckles, necks or feet. They might not look appetizing when you buy them, but the final product will taste amazing and you’ll reap all the magical benefits they have to offer. It’s not rocket science to prepare a pot of broth. As long as you’re old enough to turn on the stove, you can do this on your own. Simply add all the bones in a pot with vegetables and any herbs of your choice. These can include onions, carrots, celery, parsley, tomatoes, bay leaves, garlic and thyme. The secret to a tasty, nutritious broth is to let it simmer for as long as possible. Anywhere between 24 and 72 hours is sufficient, just be sure there’s enough water to avoid burning everything.
How will bone broth help your body?
There are several reasons why the health benefits of bone broth are renowned all over the world. Which makes it one of the most amazing super foods out there:
- The gelatin found in the bones you’re using to make the broth (particularly the feet and knuckles) can alleviate and even cure digestive issues or food intolerance.
- Glucosamine is a supplement taken for aching joints. Bone broth is not just full of glucosamine, it also contains other components that are of benefit. All of these components work together to keep your joints from throbbing and keeping you awake at night.
- Since it’s packed with collagen, bone broth might make you look younger. You’ve probably heard of collagen from all the products that claim they can plump your skin in less than a week. Consuming bone broth regularly is supposed to make your skin glow as well as help your hair and nails look better.
- Due to the impressive concentration of minerals, bone marrow can aid your immune system toughen up and fight infections more efficiently.
- Bone broth has three key ingredients which will help you get stronger bones: calcium, magnesium and phosphorus.
- Drinking bone broth on a regular basis is bound to make you feel livelier and have more energy. This could be due to the fact that bones are packed with essential nutrients, healthy good fats and anti-inflammatory proteins. Overall, the health benefits of bone broth leave no doubt that everyone should include it into their diets.
For more information about bone health, check out All You Need to Know about Bone Health.